Biotechnology Engineering or Biological Engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on biotechnologies and biological science. It includes different disciplines such as biochemical engineering, biomedical engineering, bio-process engineering, biosystem engineering and so on. However, in general it is an integrated approach of fundamental biological sciences and traditional engineering principles.
Biotechnology is based on biological science and is especially used in agriculture, food science, and medicine. United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity defines biotechnology as:
- Any technological application that uses biological systems, living organisms, or derivatives thereof, to make or modify products or processes for specific use.
- Biotechnology is often used to refer to genetic engineering technology of the 21st century, however the term encompasses a wider range and history of procedures for modifying biological organisms according to the needs of humanity, going back to the initial modifications of native plants into improved food crops through artificial selection and hybridization.
- Bioengineering is the science upon which all biotechnological applications are based.
- With the development of new approaches and modern techniques, traditional biotechnology industries are also acquiring new horizons enabling them to improve the quality of their products and increase the productivity of their systems.
Biotechnology has applications in four major industrial areas, including health care (medical), crop production and agriculture, non food (industrial) uses of crops and other products (e.g. biodegradable plastics, vegetable oil, biofuels), and environmental uses
FOR B. Tech. Bio Tech- PM + Chm. / Comp. OR PCB with Min.60% OR 60% with Qualified UPSEE-15 Rank
- Medicine and Health Care : Biotechnology application in this area has helped in the development of various medicines, vaccines and diagnostics.
- Industrial Research and Development: “Both the government and the private sector employ biotechnologists to conduct research and development work for increasing productivity, improving energy production and conservation, minimizing pollution and industrial waste etc.
- Agriculture and Animal Husbandry: The latest technologies like micro propagation and tissue culture have further helped agriculture to overcome problem like soil imbalance, genetic breeding and crop diseases.
- Environment : In this field, the job of a biotechnologist spans from checking industrial & air pollution levels, treatment of industrial wastes, recycling of sewage sludge using bio technological inputs & controls.
Typical career path scenarios for Biotech Engineering are :
- The increasing number of biotech enterprises is likely to create a need for bioengineers in the years to come. Many universities throughout the world are now providing programs in bioengineering and biotechnology (as independent programs or specialty programs within more established engineering fields).
- Graduates in the life sciences are pursuing diverse careers paths ranging from business, finance, law to journalism, public relations and writing. The following websites provide a brief insight into the opportunities available.
BIOTECH LABORATORY DETAILS
|LABORATORY||SPECIAL MENTION OF THE LAB|
|Biochemistry||lab equipped with Spectrophotometer, colorimeter, chromatography(paper & thin layer)|
|Microbiology||lab equipped with Laminar air flow, Colony counter, Spectrophotometer, autoclave, hot air oven, incubator shaker(open & close)|
|Cell biology||lab equipped with microscope (binocular & compound)|
|Immunology||lab equipped with ELISA kits, ELISA Reader, DID, Anti sera kit, Immunoelectrophoresis( Kit & Unit), Inverted Microscope, fluorescence|
|Genetics and molecular
|lab equipped with DNA Electrophoresis unit, Mini Protein subcell GT, PCR, Centrifuge, Magnetic Stirrer, Gel Doc|
|analytical techniques||lab equipped with cooling centrifuge, pH meter, PCR, spectrophotometer, chromatography(paper & thin layer), filtration|
|Genetic engineering||lab equipped with DNA Electrophoresis unit, Mini Protein subcell GT, PCR, Centrifuge, Magnetic Stirrer, Gel Doc|
|bioprocess engineering||lab equipped with Fermentor, Incubator Shaker, Centrifuge, Dry Bath, Autoclave|
|Food biotech||lab equipped with Titration Unit, pH meter, Incubator Shaker|
|Fermentation biotech||lab equipped with Fermentor, Incubator Shaker, Centrifuge, Dry Bath, Autoclave|
|Downstream Processing||lab equipped with sonicator, fermentor, FPLC|
|Bioinformatics||lab equipped with NCBI, SWISSPROT, PDB, ClustalW, Jalview, Rasmol, Pubchem, Chemsketch, BLAST, KEGG, VisANT.|
|Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd.||Lupin Pharmaceuticals Ltd.||Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd.||Nestle India Ltd.|
|Piramal Health Care Ltd.||Abott India Ltd.||Dew Solution Pvt. Ltd.||Oscar Diagnostics Ltd.|
|Continental Engg. Ltd.||Proto Infosys Ltd.||Ganesh Diagnostics|
|Kee Pharma||Methorge Labs||E4E Healthcare||Epics Group|